In my experience with social media, I’ve found it’s more common for new parents to share the difficult side of raising babies than the beautiful aspects of it… I understand that the posts I’m referring to are made with the intention of solidarity and connection to other parents who are in the thick of it all and may feel alone or overwhelmed, but quite frankly, it can be discouraging to read on a consistent basis.
Now don’t get me wrong, there are definitely mental and emotional challenges that come with being a parent—I’m no stranger to feelings of anxiety and inadequacy, and parenthood can exacerbate that. But like with any new element in our lives, our mentality really is half the battle, isn’t it?
What has helped me so far is praying to embody the fruits of the spirit daily—love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, kindness, and self-control—and focusing on the things I love about being a mom in this stage:
• When he looks up at me while breastfeeding
• The “excited” expression he makes right before latching on to eat
• Staring into each other’s eyes and making faces (which leads to the best smiles and coos)
Growth & Personality
• Seeing how quickly he’s learning new things, like holding his head up tall, rolling over, tracking with his eyes, etc.
• That he finds great comfort in cuddling in our arms
• How active and wiggly he is
• His curiosity at such a young age
• Playing together with his musical play mat
• Enjoying the time as a family of three while we’re off from work
• Seeing the love in my husband’s eyes when he looks at and talks to our son
Any new moms out there? What are some of your favorite things about your baby and the newborn stage?